For Lovers Only

For Lovers Only

Tuesday 30 August 2011

It Only Takes Pennies..

She won my heart with a glance. I waited to see if the feeling would depart, like her shadow, but it never did. Every time I create a memory with someone I love, I wonder how long it will play in my mind with the others, before fracturing and hiding behind things that are less important. This carousel of thought is rather endless, it provokes anxiety because as it runs, continuously fueled by pennies of doubt, it occupies space in the loft of my mind, that is already cluttered with too much unnecessary furniture. The summer dress, was it blue? What shoes was she wearing the day that we met? The details of life's precious moments are difficult to hold, they break easily into a million little pieces and cannot be put back together. Anything that can be preserved, the gestures she would make when she was expressing an opinion that she was particularly passionate about, or the perfume she used to wear, are all that we have to cling to when a person leaves, or a moment ends. The fortunate memories that survive the hurricane of our minds are tied to branches with soft silk ribbon, that can be loosened by the wind. When they do slip free, they fall from the tree to the soft grass below and are only tended to when a stranger walks by with the same perfume, triggering us to pick up the memory and secure it to the tree once more. This uncertainty is a difficult hill to climb, the pointless prioritising of our memories is a lottery that is not controlled by us, but don't say that it is random, please don't say that.  
I have a few I would like to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment